Monday, May 16, 2011

Product Review: Summer Soothing Spa and Shower Baby Bath

This is a product I knew I wanted to buy for my baby the second I saw it.  It's a baby bath spa.  What kid wouldn't love it?  I anticipated my soon to be born baby splashing around in the bubbles and giggling.  My wife and I received one as a gift at her shower.  I was smiling all day.

I couldn't wait to give my son his first bath.  Unfortunately, I would have to wait.  First, you have to wait for the umbilical cord to fall off.  They tell you it should only take a few days, but it will probably be at least a week, maybe two.  For a boy, you'll have to wait at least a week after the circumcision is performed.  It was about 2 1/2 weeks before I was finally able to see my son use his new bath & spa.

Review: Summer Soothing spa and shower baby bath - boy colors

The Spa and baby bath includes: a baby bath tub (plastic) that could stand separately, bath sling (for holding infants), and Spa pump with shower attachment.

My impression after finally using the baby spa and bath was very positive for the most part.


The Good:
  • The tub - when a product is well designed, you take notice of the little details that you only value with experience.  Once such detail is the plug for draining the tub.  Postpartum  mothers are not supposed to lift anything heavy for the first six weeks.  A tub full of water would be over the limit, but the drain allows for moms to lift the emptied tub when they are done.  The tub is basic, but perfected. It's all you need in a baby bath tub.
  • The bath sling - holds infants in place while their parents get them all clean.  It seems nice and cozy and provides ample support for the infant.

The OK:
  • The spa - yes, this is part of the product that first sold me on it, but maybe that is why I was a little disappointed.  You are only supposed to fill the tub with water up to the 1" line.  The little motor sits in the front of the tub and more moves or splashes the 1" of water around, than the spa "experience" I expected.  To put it simply, I expected more bubbles, like a baby Jacuzzi.  When the baby outgrows the tub, you can use the spa motor in the full size bath tub.  Combined with some Mr. Bubble, it might provide the experience I was expecting.  The shower feature is nice for rinsing soap off the baby, especially shampoo.  I liked the shower feature.  Note that you can't use the spa motor and shower feature at the same.
  • The bath sling - yes, it was listed under the good, but there is a slight improvement that could be made.  The cover and cushion should be able to release from the frame.  You could then clean them in the washing machine.  The present setup only allow for spot cleaning.

Summary:

I would rate this product an A-.  It is nice that the product will grow with your baby from infancy to toddler and probably beyond.  Admittedly, if you don't feel the shower and spa are necessary, the tub and sling can be purchased separately.


         - Clark's Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment