Thursday, March 1, 2012

Do You Need a Second Base for Your Baby Car Seat?

I hate to be anti-climatic, but the simple answer is no.  In fact, to my surprise (seriously) you don't even need one base for your car seat.  Clark is my first and only child, before him I had no experience at all with small children.  His was the first car seat I ever handled.  I thought a base was required to install a car seat.  When my wife needed to take the baby somewhere, I removed the base from my car and put it in hers.  Then vice-versa later in the day.

All your base are belong to us!
One day I was looking at the stickers on my son's car seat and I realized the installation instructions on that sticker were different from the instructions on the sticker located on the base.  Then it hit me! You can install a car seat with nothing more than a seat belt (lap or shoulder).  No base required.

The car seat base and definitely a second base are just conveniences.  Convenient, but not necessary.  Loading a car seat into a car with a base probably takes less than two seconds (click-click).  Loading a car seat without a base will take 5 second for a speedster, but probably closer to 15-30 seconds for the average person (pulling the belt, buckling it and locking it into proper position).  Same for removing the car seat.  However, many people leave their car seat in the car permanently, once the baby is too heavy for them to carry around in his carrier, so differences in loading time becomes negligible. With a base the seat belt is threaded through the base.  This keeps the seat belt away from curious little hands and baby bodily fluids.


I am not a safety engineer.  I have not tested base versus baseless car seat installation for efficacy, but visually, purely visually, the baseless installation doesn't look as secure as when the seat is attached to a base.

So if you feel the added convenience is worth the price (about $50), go ahead and buy an extra base for any additional cars in the family.  Don't however feel that it's a must have. 

Whether you use a base or not, make sure to check and maybe recheck that your child's car seat is snug and securely attached to the backseat of your car each time you place your child in the car.



          - Clark's Dad



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment