Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Growing out of Baby Memories

At eight months old and 18 lbs my son is growing out of memories.  I'll explain.

Since Clark is almost nine months, I've been rummaging through his collection of clothes that he doesn't fit into yet, taking out the long sleeves (it's winter here) and 12 mos and 9-12 mos clothes.  Then I packed away the 6 mos and 3-6 mos that don't fit or he hasn't worn in a while.  The last part was the sad one for me.  The majority of Clark's 3-6 mos clothes are onesies with cute cute animals or saying on them, like "Mommy's Alarm Clock," "Daddy's Fishing Buddy," and "My Dad is King of the Grill."  He's worn them most of his life, they are emblematic of his childhood so far (at least to me).

Most children's clothing manufacturers have seasonal runs.  They print designs or patterns for one season  or shorter.  So I probably couldn't find those same onesies in his size now if i tried.  So memories in those clothes are set and done. On to his next stage of life.

Recently, Clark learned to stand up and hold on to his crib, which is fine.  However, he extended that to the ability to stand in his crib, reach up and pull down his mobile.  That being a hazard means I had to take down the mobile. That mobile was hanging from his crib before he was even born.  He's loved those turtles that hang from his mobile since he came home from the hospital.  It's always been how we put him to sleep.  Those days are officially a wrap.  So little time, so many memories.


One day he'll have outgrown his high school letterman's jacket, but for now I'll pack the onesies and mobile away in case there's a sequel.  Maybe I'll frame them and hang them from the walls in my office, one day, when I get an office.


     -  Clark's Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment