Friday, August 5, 2011

Two Degrees vs. One Baby. Am I Smarter Than an Infant?

No relation to "The Family Freud"
I have an MBA and an undergraduate degree in Psychology.  In an effort to feel that I got my money's worth, I sometimes use some of the theories I learned and apply them to real life situations. Lately, I have tried a few out on my son Clark.  My two favorite tricks ... errr!!! ... theories to use are 1)  the "Big Baby Bath" - my own version of the "Big Bath Theory*" and "Reverse Positive Reinforcement" and 2) distraction, which I'll describe in a future article.

The former goes something like this: Clark starts to cry for whatever reason.  (Light bulb) Now is a good time to do things to him that are necessary, but that he doesn't like, things that usually make him cry.  Why?  Because he's already crying.

E.g., Clark starts crying, let's say he's hungry.  While the milk is warming up, it's now a great time to cut his nails.  What's he gonna do? Cry? Too late.  I figure this strategy will work when he gets older as well.  It should cut down on whining and wise-assery as he reaches those tween years.  Picture this, "Daaaad, it's so unfair that I have to rake all the leaves in the backyard.  You're right, son.  By the way, you need to clean the gutters and finish your homework too."  
He was going to cry or complain about each of those things individually, why not get all the crying and whining out of the way in one shot?


In finance and economics it's called the "Big Bath Theory."  Three economists researching earnings manipulations of public companies discovered a common technique being used by many executives officers**.  Instead of admitting to continued discretions (or losses) as they occur, they wait and admit to a bunch all at once. So instead of trickles, it's a big bath. It looks like a one time occurrence instead of a trend.

I call my version the "Big Baby Bath," for obvious reasons. Well if Clarky is going to cry, why have him cry multiple times, might as well get something productive done too.  I also say this utilizes "Reverse Positive Reinforcement," which I know is not a real psychology term.  (For you Psychology majors and Behavioral Psychology/Operand Conditioning geeks out there, you can save your emails.)  However, it's not really punishment and it's also not negative reinforcement.  So, let's say I coined my own psych term.  Feel free to try this one out and let us know how it worked for you.



     - Clark's Dad



* http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/ausinvest/shbigbath.htm

** François Degeorge, Jayendu Patel, Richard Zeckhauser, Earnings Management to Exceed Thresholds, The Journal of Business, Vol. 72, No. 1 (January 1999), pp. 1-33

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment